Friday, May 7, 2010

Vegetable Garden


My birthday/ mother's Day gift this year was a little space to put my vegetable garden. I knew there was no way this garden would survive without some kind of protection from the many little feet that trample my yard daily, oh and the big brown trash can that devours anything in sight, edible or not. (Seriously, but that is another blog the, inedible items that Sara has deemed edible through the years).
Anyways, my kind husband agreed to build me this darling little fence so that I could FINALLY start a garden.
 Here is the thing. I have wanted, and talked about, doing a garden since we moved here almost 4 years ago. Something has always gotten in the way and the summer ends without the many homegrown veggies I had hoped for.
Here is the other thing. I don't really have a green thumb. Or as my, The Colorado Gardener's Companion: An Insider's Guide to Gardening in the Centennial State (Gardening Series) , garden book says, A brown thumb. I start out very gung-ho about plants and then I kinda get bored and tired of taking care of them, and they don't care for this too much, so they turn brown and die. Which is why I now buy the hardy, need very little water to survive, species for our yard. 
HOWEVER, I love my little space in the yard that is my very own to do with as I please, and I have the very important book to make me a better gardener so this is my solemn promise.....AHEM, I will see this through AND I will eat at least one plant from my garden before the summer is out. I would hope to eat more than one but this is my first year so I have to be realistic.
So, I have posted a few BEFORE pictures so that once my plot of land is growing and thriving and full of wonderfully colorful plants, I can post my AFTER pictures.
Also, I figured if I wrote about it on here I would be more likely to stick to my goal. Good plan!
Hopefully I will be sending you all yummy homegrown veggies soon!

2 comments:

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit said...

Lovely! I look forward to seeing the progress. Thanks for inviting me via FlogYoBlog Friday! Happy Mothers' Day weekend (from your new follow from Down Under)

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

AWESOME! Just remember to water the plants 5 times a day during out dry and scorching summer! hee hee Try lettuce and spinach. I never mess those up!I was never able to grow an edible tomato in Colorado Springs...if you do can I share the joy and have a bite too?