Before I had a little boy I was confident I knew all there was to know about mothering one. I mean, I am married to a boy. I grew up with two little brothers and their many, many friends who pretty much lived at our house. I have taught boys in my class, and coached boys in track. But here I am, with so much to learn and only 17 months in.
Things I did not know until I had boy:
* They like rocks. A lot.
* I have to clean said rocks out of my washing machine at least 3 times a week.
* Head-butting can be a form of affection.
* High-fives are the standard hello and good-bye greeting.
* Anything that is not tied down will be pushed or pulled all over the house, yard or neighborhood no matter what size it is.
* Chairs are not much fun to sit in, but they are great for climbing on, over and under. And also for pushing all over the house.
* Anywhere outside is their favorite place.
* They like to eat. A lot. (This one I already knew but had forgotten).
* They sometimes eat dirt. Just in case it tastes better this time than the last time they tried it.
* They are pretty much happy as long as they have food, rocks, or dirt to play with. (Water can be a substitute for dirt if need be).
* If it is round and shaped somewhat like a ball it must be thrown. If it is an actual ball, it also must be thrown.
* If they are not sure if something they find is edible they will put it in their mouths and chew it for awhile to find out.
* They LOVE their Mommies. Even if I am the one who scolded him he still runs to me for comfort.
* They are indescribably sweet when they want to be.
* They give rocks as gifts. Because, well, they like rocks a lot.
* They love to have fun, and laugh, and play. And man do they play hard.
* All that playing leads to lots of sleep. At least for this little boy who dives into his bed every night he is so happy to be there.
They are wonderful. Perfect. They are usually dirty, a little sweaty, carrying rocks and pushing things and I would not trade any of it. It is what makes them boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment