Monday, February 22, 2010

Feeling My Age?

I have noticed that as birthdays come and go it takes a little longer these days for my brain to recognize the added years. I mean my 10 year reunion is this year. Wasn't I just in high school? Has it really been 10 years?


While I was working at LRX I had foolishly assumed that most of my co-workers were relatively close in age. It wasn't until I made a reference to a favorite childhood cartoon that I saw my error. Gummie Bears? Dancing here and there and everywhere... That was really that long ago? Apparently, because I discovered that the majority of my co-workers were not only younger than me, they were younger than my youngest brother. Ouch. They had no clue what I was talking about as I rattled off a few favorite cartoons from the past. That's not a good day for the ego.

I have come to terms with the reunion. 10 years since I was in high school is an okay thing. Not really interested in going back, and I am pretty happy with how the last 10 years have turned out. I have even come to terms with the fact that I am no longer part of the young, fresh out of college group that is making its way into our work places these days.

However, I am obviously still not completely grasping the fact that I am getting a little older. I did not say old. We all know that I am nowhere near close to old or even middle aged (thank you very much Katie.) But maybe strapping on my boots (that what we like to call cleats), buying a new pair of shin guards, and stepping onto a field where I am guessing many of its inhabitants are a few years younger than me could be a mistake. So far after my first game, we got crushed but I am not going to talk about that, I am feeling pretty good. Yes, I may lose a toenail, the jury is still out on that one, and maybe my back has been killing me all day, but I feel pretty good. I think I kept up with the youngins pretty well, and even contributed my share to the team.

I am convinced my brain has the right idea. Blow out the candles year after year but go ahead and be the age you feel you should be. I will let you know how this motto works out after next week's game. It starts at 10:40. PM. I might be aging myself a little when I say that I am usually asleep by then, and have been for a few hours. Oh well. Here is to thinking young!

No comments: