Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Boss


Today as we are driving in the car, where the majority of Emily's most interesting conversations happen, I realize that she has been whispering to me. From the back seat. And the radio is on.
Answer me Mommy!
What did you say?
Psshhhshsh (That is how I imagine whispering might be written out).
I can't hear you Em, say it louder.
Why can't kids be bosses? 
Huh. Did not see that one coming, but then I never do. 
Because grown-ups have lived longer and understand more about life and are there to teach kids how to be safe and take care of them.
I was pretty proud of myself for that quick thinking, because really that is a much more loaded question than you think. Especially with a four year old.
She then says,
Because kids don't know that you are not supposed to cross the street where cars are and they might get hit? 
See how she takes what I say and totally interprets it all on her own? I think she got the point, though I am not sure how crossing the street fits in to it. Maybe she didn't quite get it. 
Yes.
At this point I decide to change the subject because I worry that this might somehow end up very similiar to the chicken and Heaven conversation, and I am still getting in to trouble for that one. She is very good at getting me into sticky situations. It did shoot a little fear into me though. My not yet four year old is already thinking about being somebodys boss. I don't seethis going wll for us as she gets into her teenage years. Good thing they grow slowly, right!!? 

2 comments:

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

Didn't Ty tell you to stop having serious conversations with her?

Nichole said...

Yes, but she keeps sucking me right back in.