We like to call them fibs. It sounds much nicer than lie. They are the little stories (see, again, nicer) that we tell our children because it is easier than the truth at the time. For example, when Emily was going to bed she would ask if we were also going to sleep. We said yes. Were Grandma and Grandpa going to sleep? Yes. Her friend Jules? Yes. It was easier. She felt good knowing that she wasn't the only one going to sleep at that time. But still, it was a lie. We try to use this sparingly and only in cases such as these, but it has finally caught up to us. Emily has become the lie-police. We were in the car in SD and she was very worried about her baby-dolls. Were they in the car, she asked? Yes. And they were. Are they snapped in? Yes, we answered. They were not, but telling her this would only mean that she would insist that they be snapped in which was not a possibility since they were unreachable on the floor. Are you sure, she asked. This is the trap. Yes! We answer. I see them on the floor, and their are no snappers on the floor, so I don't really think they are snapped in. Caught red-handed by the lie-police. Since then I have made it a mission to not lie to my daughter, even if it has meant more tantrums than usual, but this morning I slipped up. It was early and she wanted a snack. The closest thing was a bag of cheerios. Are they Honey-Nut Cheerios? She asked? We don't have Honey-Nut Cheerios, but instead of dealing with that problem I took the easy way out. Yes! I said. She took a few bites. I don't taste any honey or nuts Mommy. I don't think these are Honey-Nut Cheerios. Caught again. This time I really am done. I hope!




No comments:
Post a Comment