Dear Troy,
Happy 9th birthday Buddy!! Your breakfast of choice this morning was homemade french toast with frosting and sprinkles on top. You ate all of it in about 5 sec, which is not surprising given how much you love to eat! What am I going to do when you are a teenager? You and I were talking about the day you were born this morning, and as I told you about that Friday 9 years ago, I realized that yours is the one I remember the most. I remember every detail. I remember that when they put my sweet baby boy (you) in my arms all I could think was, he is mine. He was made just for me (and Dad too, but mostly me). He is my special gift. And even though all 3 of you kids are absolutely amazing gifts from God. I am sure that he made you knowing that I would need someone to see me through the craziness of being a mom. He knew that as energetic as your brother and sister are, that I would need your calmness to balance it out. That I would need your sweet smiling face watching me and waiting patiently and saying, "it's okay Mom, do what you need to do and I will be here waiting for you when you are done." I would need someone to ask me how my day was as soon as you got in the car after school. And someone to say, "you look really nice Mom" or "Wow, the house looks really clean." He knew that I would always be rushing around trying to get things done and that I would need someone to take my hand, make me stop, and breathe, and point out all of the amazing things around me. He knew that I would need someone with a laugh so contagious that even on my worst days I can't help but laugh along with you. And someone with a sense of humor that is smart and witty and super sarcastic (I don't know where you get that from) so that I'm reminded not to take myself too seriously. "See you in 6 months..." He knew I would need your kindness, someone who just does stuff. Not because you were asked or told but because it is right and needs to be done.
Parents are supposed to be the teachers, but you, my sweet boy, have taught me so much more in just 9 years than I could ever teach you. You have taught me that you don't always have to be first, but sometimes walking in the back of the pack means you can take your time and see so much more. You have taught me that being kind means putting others first. Remembering your sisters favorite candy and choosing that one to give to her later instead of taking one for yourself. Letting a 2-year old, who thinks you are the greatest, pull you around all day because you like to make her happy and see her smile. You have taught me that being a good friend is mostly just about listening and really hearing what the other person has to say. You constantly teach me new things, and I am no longer surprised when you know an interesting fact that I had no idea about or when you know a better way to solve a problem that has stumped me.
However, as smart as you are kiddo, don't forget that you can always learn more. You aren't perfect. No one is. So give yourself a little break. You aren't going to know everything the first time, or even the second or the third. That's okay. You're not going to be the best at everything. That's okay. Just don't let that stop you. You missed the goal by a mile, pick your head up and keep going. You forgot that multiplication fact. It's okay! We'll try again next time. You feel things more deeply than others sometimes and that is okay, it is good, and what makes you, you. But there are times to stop and and cry and there are times to take a deep breath, pull yourself together and keep pushing forward. That's a tough one and we can work on that together. I know I still mess that up somedays.
This was so many words (are you even still reading this) just for me to say.....we really, really like you. We love being your parents. You are so incredible and smart and handsome and funny and creative and sweet. We hope that you have had the best birthday ever!!
Love you Troy Boy!
Love,
Mom & Dad


No comments:
Post a Comment