I have always thought kids should come with instruction manuals. I was so sure I knew all there was to know about kids until I had my own. I feel like when they hand you your child for the first time they could mention a few things. Like, congratulations on being a parent!! Here are a few things you should know....for the rest of your life when your child feels pain you will feel it tenfold. When the world is unfair, or wrong or mean you will want to do everything in your power to make it fair, and right, and good. You will always want to catch them when they fall and you will want to move mountains to make sure they are never disappointed or sad. Oh and don't get me started on what you will feel and want to do if anyone ever messes with your kid. But here's the kicker....you won't always be able to catch them when they fall. Or shield them from pain or disappointment and there will be pain, and the world can be very unfair and wrong and bad. And it only gets harder. I have only been a Mom for 7 years and already I can see how much harder it will get. There will be a time when my kisses will not make their boo-boos go away. When that other kid in the lunch room being unkind to my child is not the worst that it gets. And what do you do? You can't fight every battle they face for them. And they have not invented a bubble big enough to sustain your whole family. I have checked. Nope. This is the part I have had to learn as I go, and am still learning everyday. What I can do is help them grow and learn from these situations. Hope they become better people because of them and make sure they never doubt that they are so incredibly loved. Oh and for the little while that they are in my house and still want to hang out with us, make sure it is filled with giggles, and hugs, and dance parties and that they see what is truly good and right and wonderful in this world as much as possible.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Instruction Manuals
I have always thought kids should come with instruction manuals. I was so sure I knew all there was to know about kids until I had my own. I feel like when they hand you your child for the first time they could mention a few things. Like, congratulations on being a parent!! Here are a few things you should know....for the rest of your life when your child feels pain you will feel it tenfold. When the world is unfair, or wrong or mean you will want to do everything in your power to make it fair, and right, and good. You will always want to catch them when they fall and you will want to move mountains to make sure they are never disappointed or sad. Oh and don't get me started on what you will feel and want to do if anyone ever messes with your kid. But here's the kicker....you won't always be able to catch them when they fall. Or shield them from pain or disappointment and there will be pain, and the world can be very unfair and wrong and bad. And it only gets harder. I have only been a Mom for 7 years and already I can see how much harder it will get. There will be a time when my kisses will not make their boo-boos go away. When that other kid in the lunch room being unkind to my child is not the worst that it gets. And what do you do? You can't fight every battle they face for them. And they have not invented a bubble big enough to sustain your whole family. I have checked. Nope. This is the part I have had to learn as I go, and am still learning everyday. What I can do is help them grow and learn from these situations. Hope they become better people because of them and make sure they never doubt that they are so incredibly loved. Oh and for the little while that they are in my house and still want to hang out with us, make sure it is filled with giggles, and hugs, and dance parties and that they see what is truly good and right and wonderful in this world as much as possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment