Friday, June 17, 2011

All Cooped Up

The chickens have moved out. Outside that is! Actually they have been outside for a few weeks now, but it has taken me awhile to get this post done. Ty found lots of inspiration online and then designed and built his own "Chicken Tractor." My Grandma commented that it looked like an architect built the coop and Emily said, No just my Daddy. He also used recycled wood that was donated to the station so it was mostly free! The wood was from a church carnival so it was all kinds of bright pinks, purples, and orange which I thought would look super cute, but for "water-proofing purposes" we painted it all white. Definitely NOT as fun!

Photo A shows the coop all closed up. It is called a tractor because there are wheels on one end and a handle on the other so we can move it all around the yard. The sides come off (photo B) for easy cleaning and access. The ends also have doors that drop down (photo C)  for easy egg removal and to feed and water. The bottom area is all fenced in so sometimes we just let down their ramp and they hang out down there. Other days they get to raom over the whole yard, which they prefer over the later.


Ty still watches them and shakes his head. Chickens. I can't believe we own chickens. I however secretly love owning chickens. I watch them run around the yard in their cluster of four (they are always together). Troy loves to follow them around and Sarah is usually right there with them. They make quite a funny group.   They are quiet and pretty easy overall. Once a week I brush out their coop and put new wood shavings in. Everday I fill up their mason jars with food and water. When it gets dark they put themselves back in their coop and we close it up for the night. That and they will give us eggs soon! I am sold.

No comments: