Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Little Bookworm

Last night I had put Troy to bed and climbed into my bed to read when Em came over and said "I lay with you Mommy?" Well who can say no to that? I let her crawl in next to me and sighed a little that I wouldn't get to read, but oh well. "You read to me Mommy?" She says as she points to the novel I am reading. "Sure Baby." I start to read to her. I am sure she didn't understand most of the words, and of course there were no pictures but she laid her head on my shoulder and was quiet (as many of you know this is rare for my daughter to be still and quiet for any length of time). After a few minutes I stopped, sure that she was bored and she instantly pointed to the book and said, "read more Mommy." So I did. It was one of the sweetest things ever, and she laid there for about 15 minutes while I read to her from my book until it was time for her to go to bed. One of my hopes for my kids is that they will love reading as much as I do. As much as the teacher in me believes reading is important for its many educational reasons, the creative part of me loves getting lost in a book and all that that entails with little thought to the education I am getting. I don't care what they love to read (as long as it is appropriate), I just want them to love to read. That little rant being said, it thrills me to no end that Emmie liked listening to me read even though she didn't understand it. If she asks me to read her a book she knows that most of the time I will drop what I am doing so that we can snuggle and read, and I love that she sits and reads on her own. It is so fun to watch them turn from babies into little people!

Speaking of reading, I am trying to get my other blog http://readnothinglaughnever.blogspot.com/ going so check it out if you love to read!!

1 comment:

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

ahhhh, so sweet!What a sweet story. She WILL love reading because of your positive example.