"So, you know how my office is closed the week between Christmas and New Years?" Ty says.
"Yea, that will be nice to have you home and get to just relax. I was thinking maybe I would take a couple days off too so I could be home." I reply.
"Well I was thinking that since my parents won't be able to make it out here, maybe we should go there." He said.
"To SD?" I ask.
"Okay the 27th."
Silence.
A terrified look on my face.
More silence.
"What do you think?" He asks.
"About what?" I said.
"Ya know...about driving to SD."
"I, I, Emily. In a car. For 2 days?"
So needless to say we took off from good Ol' Colorado Spring on the morning of the 27th to make the trip to SD. There were a few naysayers who were betting on us not to even make it to Denver, some had us turning around somewhere around Castle Rock. Oh but we are adventurers, set out to do what few have done before us. Take a 15 month old on a two day car trip. Well we sailed passed Denver without incident and onto Grand Junction, then only an hour passed out intended time into Beaver where we stayed the night. Even on no nap (she didn't sleep in the car at all the first day) this amazing girl passed the time without so much as one of her classic Emily in the car yelling fits. Now I am not going to take all of the credit, although I am sure that our amazing parenting skills had a little to do with how well she behaved. No, I would definitely say that the majority of the credit goes to a little $50 device called "the portable DVD player." Or as we like to call it, "the best $50 we have ever spent." Between Frosty and Elmo and always having snacks near by we managed to roll into SD at noon on the 28th feeling pretty darned good. Ty did most of the driving so I actually got to read a whole book, do some crosswords, and even take a short nap. It was heaven. What was I worried about?
We had a great time in SD visiting with family and even getting to see a few friends (although 4 days is not long enough). Em got to go to the Birch Aquarium, La Jolla shores, Muriettas, Claim Jumper, In n' Out, A great sushi place in Irvine...okay, so we say we are going there for family, but really it is for all the food we can't eat in CO. Overall, great trip. But then, ohhhh back in the car? Not as exciting as the first time around. Emily still did great, but this time it was her Mommy and Daddy that didn't want to be in the car anymore. Especially since the last leg of the trip took up 4 hours longer than expected because of weather, traffic, accidents, and any other force of nature that could slow us down. Finally, a tired, sad, very, very dirty little car pulled onto the street of Bucolo and we promised ourselves we would not try this again for a long while. It is always good to be home.
No comments:
Post a Comment